Be still and listen!


That's a cute happy face drenched in thoughts of greed, love, and want. Listen; God wants you to know Jesus.

Psalms chapter 103 verses 13-18.
He is like a father to us, tender and sympathetic to those who reverence Him. For He knows we are but dust, and that our days are few and brief, like grass, like flowers, blown by the wind and gone forever. But the lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting, to those who reverence Him; His salvation is to children's children of those who are faithful to His covenant and remember to obey Him!

In Psalms chapter 46 verse 10 we are asked to be still and know that He is God. He says, "I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"
Do you find it hard to be still? Even when we are listening to others, we are forming an opinion. Most of the time we can't wait to get our thoughts out. Sometimes we start speaking while the other person is trying to get out their thoughts. It takes practice and lots of discipline to let someone get out their thoughts. Being a good listener means you are not distracted but are interested in what others are saying. It does not mean you have to solve their issues or even give them an answer.
   You are expected to acknowledge what they have said and maybe do it humbly with a common sense answer. A witty remark sometimes eases the conversation. Redirecting the conversation has to be cautiously used but can also bring peace. How many times have you spoken your thoughts without thinking about the outcome they may have? I'm told by those closest to me that I do it a lot. When is the last time your spouse gave you 'the look' when you are talking with others? 
   Being a good listener has lots of advantages. For example it gives you patience and slows down your reactions so that everyone benefits from interaction. Maybe you learn something, or maybe you supply what was not even being thought of. This morning when I went to prayer I tried asking God to direct my thoughts toward someone who may benefit from hearing about Him. I sat and listened for a reply, but my thoughts were racing with ideas. So I sat quietly for another period of time and found myself falling asleep. 
    I don't want to fall asleep and miss what God has to say to me. Then I thought of conversations we have with each other. I ask you a question and you supply an answer. The conversation and answers are usually pretty spontaneous. So being still with God means taking the time to speak with Him and letting Him be involved in your life all the time. Then the Holy Spirit will prompt you of danger, greed, and the feelings of others. You will  be aware of kindness and good things done. God is involved in our lives and His voice is seen in the outcome. 
   He loves to amaze you and leave you in awe of His love for you. Have you ever given a reply that made you wonder where did that come from? People commented on your reply and maybe you were even rewarded for your action. Being still and listening comes to some easily and to others it's hard with all that is going on. It would be nice if we could have a mix of being able to listen, be patient, have the right answers and still deal with all the demands of everyday issues. 
   Feeling sick, aches and pains, lack of sleep or overwhelming loss can all influence our actions. God knows what we go through and even those people who seem to have it all together, have their fair share of issues to deal with. Daniel chapter 2 verse 20 says, "Blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever, for He alone has all wisdom and all power." 
   How do you deal with those who are troubled? You have had your fair share of troubles in your past, and you know that it was God who brought you into salvation with Jesus, so how do you help those who were like you find their way to know God and find Jesus? Being still to listen and recognize the need, is the start to letting them know what God has done for you and can do for them. 
   2 Corinthians chapter 9 verse 7 says, "Every one must make up his own mind as to how much he should give. Do not force anyone to give more than he really wants to, for cheerful givers are the ones God prizes." You can plant a seed and then water it when you can, hopefully the soil it is planted in is willing to let it grow. That is an example of someone who does not know God, but is seeking help. If they really want help then they will let the idea of God develop and watch as Jesus becomes their saving grace. 
   It's nice to talk like this. You wanted a change and you were ready and supported by God to leave your past behind. Not everyone has that opportunity for they love their old ways more than they want freedom. Shaky legs, unsteady hands, and confused thoughts all fight against God. The steady paths of God are found in Jesus and the words of the bible. 
   It is a journey and a gift from God. What does it mean to be still? It's the joy you have for what God has given us through Jesus. Live in what you have learned, share what you have gone through and always walk in the presence of God daily. 
   Thank You Father for Jesus. Thank You for hearing my prayer. Your grace and mercies are the love You have for all people. 😊   

Philippians chapter 3 verses 13 and 14.
"No, dear brothers, I am still not all I should be but I am bringing all my energies to bear on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God is calling us up to heaven, because of what Christ Jesus did for us."   

Hebrews chapter 4 verse 16.
So let us come boldly to the very throne of God and stay there to receive His mercy and to find grace to help us in our times of need. 

Daniel chapter 9 verse 23.
The angel Gabriel said to him, "The moment you began praying, a command was given. I am here to tell you what it was, for God loves you so very much. Listen, and try to understand the meaning of the vision that you saw!"  

Psalms chapter 30 verses 1-3.
"I will praise You, Lord, for You have saved me from my enemies. You refuse to let them triumph over me. O Lord my God, I pleaded with You, and You gave me my health again. You brought me back from the brink of the grave, from death itself, and here I am alive!"

1 Samuel chapter 1 verses 15-17.
"Oh, no, sir!" she replied. "I'm not drunk! But I am very sad and I was pouring out my heart to the Lord. Please don't think that I am just some drunken bum!"











Comments

Popular Posts