Gary

Merry Christmas

I keep to myself and try to stay out of trouble. Until that night when.....

Luke chapter 2 verses 5-12.
He took with him Mary, his fiancée, who was obviously pregnant by this time. And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born, and she gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped him in a blanket and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the village inn. That night some shepherds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel appeared among them and the landscape shone bright with the glory of the Lord. They were badly frightened, but the angel reassured them. "Do not be afraid!" he said. "I bring you the most joyful news  ever announced, and it is for everyone! The Savior---yes, the Messiah, the Lord---has been born tonight in Bethlehem! How will you recognize Him? You will find a baby wrapped in a blanket, lying in a manger!"

 
I'm a mouse who lives in a field always having to be on the look out for predators. I like to keep a clean home and my friends call me Gary. My only place of comfort is in the den. And even there my ears are always aware, listening and prepared for a quick exit. That night will never be forgotten. It started with the rumble of the ground and fear of what may be coming. You know like one of those times when you want to look out in curiosity but are too afraid of what you may see. 
   After awhile the sounds did seem to quiet down a little but there was still a rustle and bustle going on. I had to look! Sticking my head out I was met by the black wet nose of a lamb. I had to laugh because they're timid and harmless. Boy they sure make a lot of noise. I knew that they did not mean me any harm so I ventured out to look around. 
   As I stuck my head up all I could see, for as far as I could see, were sheep. I decided to go out for a walk, looking for the owners and their morsels of food. I could hear them and I could smell the fire and food cooking. What a treat! This was great because it never happens. The shepherds bringing their flocks here tonight. My mouth was watering.
   I had to be careful, quick, like being in stealth mode. The first guy had nothing, He was just sitting staring out into the night watching over the silhouettes of sheep herding. The next guy was gabbing to his friend and neither had anything I could get my hands on. Oh, come on now, this was getting monotonous, until....
   My ears fell backwards as I looked up at a table filled with abundant smells of goodness. I looked around, could I get up there without anyone noticing? I could hear conversations and laughter. "Oh, that Caesar Augustus and his silly decrees" and the talk of the semi-cloudy sky and the chill in the night. The humans seemed occupied, so I scurried up the table leg and took shelter next to a mug. I saw bread, fruit and a bowl with steam coming from it. 
   I was about to make my move when my place of protection was removed, revealing me to everyone. A swooping hand narrowly missed me, I had to think fast, and move quick. I heard "What in heavens name is that?" How could they not know I was a mouse! I ran to the edge of the table, about to make my escape, when something in the sky caught my attention. I wondered what I was seeing, the night was replaced with movement and what sounded like singing. 
   The shepherds were running to gather their sheep, who were not moving but just standing there looking up. The shepherds did not know how to react, the sheep were not frightened, they were baaing, awed by the sights. Then came this rumble and the sky became bright with what looked like a person who had wings and was dressed in flowing robes.
   This was totally unusual and out of place. My thoughts went back to the food, this was going to be my chance while everyone was distracted. I would not need much, only that hunk of bread, so I went for it and just about had it when this load voice said, "Do not be afraid!" Oh crap, I was so close to getting a snack. 
   The voice continued to speak saying; "I bring you the most joyful news ever announced and it is for everyone" I was not caught, the voice was just rambling on. What news could be so amazing that would distract me from that mouth watering, tummy gurgling hunk of bread? 
   "The Savior---yes the Messiah, the Lord---has been born tonight in Bethlehem!" That got my attention; I turned and heard "How will you recognize Him? You will find a baby wrapped in a blanket, lying in a manger!"
   What happened next took my mind totally away from the food and left me staring, gazing up. The sky filled with a vast host of others---the armies of heaven---praising God: "Glory to God in the highest heaven," they sang, "and peace on earth for all those pleasing Him." And as fast as all this had happened they were gone and the night time sky was as it was before. The stars could be seen, the misty breath of the shepherds who were standing there dumbfounded, trying to make sense of what they had just witnessed. 
   It took a little while, but finally, I could hear them speaking of going to see this miracle that was  being spoken about. I was curious also, so I grabbed a morsel of bread for the journey and tucked myself into one of the shepherds satchels. 
   There was talk of this unusual star that was brightly lit and seemed to hanging right over Bethlehem, right where they were headed! They were so excited and encouraging each other to move quicker. My ride was not an easy stroll, as I struggled to hold on tightly. That star was making it easy to find Joseph and Mary, who were down the alleyway, in with the cows and horses. "There, look, there is the baby," they said. 
   I wanted to see, but first I had to get out of this darn bag. I tried going up but there was no way out, the top was covered. I fell back exhausted and wondered what I was going to do. Then I noticed a bit of light coming from the bottom corner. Was it a ray of hope? As I nibbled away at the threads to make the hole bigger, I could hear the amazement of the crowds as the shepherds talked about what they had seen and experienced. 
   My opportunity to escape came when the shepherd knelt down and I fell from the satchel, tumbling to the ground, bouncing off the hoof of a camel. Boy, I did not hang around very long! I was in strange surroundings with lots of chatter and everyone focused on those two, over there. I needed to see what was going on, I hate being short and always on the look out for enemies. The area was so brightly lit, it's strange because night time is all around us, yet this one spot is as bright as day. 
   I made my way through the maze of feet and people kneeling, as if they were honoring a King, only to realize that everyone seemed focused on what was in the straw. Drats! I couldn't see! I needed a better vantage point. I looked up at the decaying barn and saw others sitting in the rafters gazing down. That's it! I'll get up there and see what it is that has everyone so fascinated.
   Moving out across the beam, I could see it was a baby. I could hear words like wonderful and counsellor being used. Who was this child that the skies opened up with singing angels, talking and praising the coming of the Messiah? How could a child lying in a manger draw so much attention and get people to leave what they were doing only to bow low and speak words of thanksgiving? 
   As I listened and watched I realized that this was not any ordinary child, He seemed to be the hopes and dreams of everyone here. I never put any thought into that before. Could there could be something to what is being said? Peace through trusting in God? 
   As I watched, I saw, Mary look at Joseph and they both grinned acknowledging what was happening, savoring the moment and the wonderful words being spoken. Suddenly I felt a rush of warmth and understanding come over me. God was here, that little baby was His bundle of joy and I was gazing upon something that would forever change my life. 
   This was the beginning of my story and how what happened that night filled me with curiosity, wonder, love, joy, and happiness in my forever home with God. 
   How could a baby be the most wonderful news ever?  Let me tell you about the angels that filled the sky, about the beam of light that shone only on Him and how that light radiated off of everyone who was there.
   Thank You Father for Jesus. Thank You that so many years later the story of what happened that night is changing lives and becoming their story to be told. 😊  

Mark chapter 8 verse 35.
Jesus told them, "If you insist on saving your life, you will lose it. Only those who throw away their lives for My sake and for the sake of the Good News will ever know what it means to really love."  
         
1 John chapter 3 verses 1 and 2.
See how very much our heavenly Father loves us, for He allows us to be called His children---think of it---and we really are! But since most people do not know God, naturally they do not understand that we are His children, Yes, dear friends, we are already God's children, right now, and we can't even imagine what it is going to be like later on. But we do know this, that when He comes we will be like Him, as a result of seeing Him as He really is. 

Matthew chapter 11 verses 27-30.
Jesus said; "Everything has been entrusted to Me by My Father. Only the Father knows the Son, and the Father is known only by the Son and those to whom the Son reveals Him. Come to Me and I will give you rest---all of you who work so hard beneath a heavy yoke. Wear My yoke---for it fits perfectly---and let Me teach you; for I am gentle and humble, and you shall find rest for your souls; for I give you only light burdens."  

Matthew chapter 20 verse 28.
Jesus said; "Your attitude must be like My own, for I the Messiah, did not come to be served but to serve, and give My life as a ransom for many."

Malachi chapter 3 verse 1.
Malachi the prophet, who lived 700 years before Jesus came,  was talking to the priests and sharing with them this warning from the Lord of Hosts; "Listen: I will send my messenger before me to prepare the way. And then the one you are looking for will come suddenly to His Temple---the Messenger of God's promises, to bring you great joy, Yes, He is surely coming." 











Comments

Popular Posts