Family Time


Isaiah chapter 25 verse 1.
"O Lord, I will honor and praise your name, for you are my God; You do such wonderful things! You planned them long ago, and now you have accomplished them, just as You said!

Wow, the last two days has been such a whirlwind of travel and visiting family. The years have passed by and all of us have aged. My Mom is 94 years old and my oldest brother is 69, what happened to time? I remember the days of growing up with 3 sisters and 2 other brothers, it was always a busy time at Christmas.
   Christmas was always at home where mom put on an awesome turkey dinner with all the trimmings. The pecan pie and Christmas pudding with the hard white icing. The family did grow with spouses and babies now coming to the table. Even with the dividers in there were at least 14 of us trying to sit around a table full of food. They were great times with lots of conversation.
   Today looks very different. My brothers and sisters have had children and now their children have had children. My mother has 12 great grandchildren. This year we rented a hall where everyone gathered. The food was brought in and tables were set up. The children vary in ages but it is so neat to see them all get along, playing together, sharing the toys and enjoying themselves. The parents too, talking among each other, catching up on what has been happening with their lives and photo's were being taken. We are family and as big as it gets, we still gather at Christmas.
   My wife asked me to say a prayer, blessing the food and family before indulging. I looked around, no one was really caring. I know my mom would like it, so I went and asked her if she thought I should pray, she agreed. So I yelled out to get everyone's attention, stating I wanted to say a prayer. The conversations stopped and people paid attention as I prayed, thanking Jesus for the bountiful food and the gathering of family, I thanked Him for my mom and the babies and safe travel.
   I'm glad I prayed and thanked my wife for encouraging me to do so. After lots of hugs and kisses and well wishes, the hall was cleaned up and everyone went about their ways. We sat in a traffic jam for 45 minutes. It was nice to have gotten together. If not for my brothers and sisters, then for my mom and the children. Some of the kids even know who Jackie and I are. That makes it worth the trip.
   I'm sure, over the years, my mother had prayed for me and the others in my family. Maybe that helped me, turn to God when I was at the lowest point of my life. I'm sure it did, maybe my brothers and sisters have prayed to God in their times of need.
   Now I have a wonderful church family and I try to represent Him in all I do. So even in a place where God or Jesus may not be the topic of conversation, a place where family is gathering and food is served up, don't be ashamed to share Jesus. There is so much to be thankful to Him for and you never know who may benefit from the words that are spoken.
   Thank you Father for the strength to share you and to feel Your love bless me and those who hear the praises to you.

Isaiah chapter 25 verse 9.
In that day the people will proclaim, "This is our God, in whom we trust, for whom we waited. Now at last he is here." What a day of rejoicing!

Psalm chapter 103 verse 5.
King David said, "He fills my life with good things! My youth is renewed like the eagles!"

Colossians chapter 1 verse 12.
"Always thankful to the Father who has made us fit to share all the wonderful things that belong to those who live in the kingdom of light."
 

Comments

Popular Posts